Saturday, March 5, 2016

Test Front and Rear Spar assembly with ribs

Working through the day, I have prepped  each rib by fluting and deburring. Here is the test assembly. Starting to take the shape of something recognizable.




After test assembly, I have taken the pieces apart again for final finishing before they are ready to prime. As part of the finishing, I am required to shape each piece where the skin will encounter a gap. This is necessary to avoid a corner or edge in the support rib from pushing up on the skin causing and undesirable ridge. To speed things along, i have been using a scotch bright wheel (like a grinding wheel but much softer). Unfortunately I must have been a little over zealous and have have taken off to much material. I have sent an email to technical support to ask if it is necessary to replace the part or if I am fine. I placed it next to a good part for comparison. I am going to guess that it is fine. There is still plenty of material for the skin / leading edge to sit against to form the proper shape; however, Van's technical support will have the final say. Probably many more ruined parts to come.



Calling it quits for tonight before I ruin anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment