Sunday, January 29, 2017

Priming - Using the HVLP system

The priming up until this point, I have been using Duplicolor Self Etching Primer in a standard rattle can. This is the stuff that is available right around the corner for $5 per can. I find it funny that many people swear by this stuff including the editor of Kit  Plane magazine. After using this on the interior components of the tail section, I have concluded that IT SUCKS!!! It seems to scratch off way to easy. The issue is that I need to rivet the pieces together after priming. This absolutely destroys the coat. It probably is not designed quite right for this application or something. So I have asked around and the other builders locally are using a product designed by Dupont. It is called Variprime Self etching primer. Surprise suprise it come in at around $400 per gallon!!!


image This is a two part self etching primer that is fast drying and provides excellent corrosion resistance and direct-to-metal adhesion. Blah blah blah. Anyway after trying it out, it is wonderful. And it should be for price!!!

This is applied with the new fanged HVLP gun that I picked up from harbor freight complete with a regulator for $30.
 

Check out my first attempt. These are the majority of the bulkhead components that I will be assembling of the next few days. (Oh, and another lesson. Don't paint at night.) 







No comments:

Post a Comment