Sunday, November 19, 2017

Continuing to Drill the Elevator Horns

Continuing on drilling the elevator horns, I needed to find a suitable drill bushing to protect the center bearing. The elevator horn does not have any of the holes drilled so it is necessary to use the bearing as a guide. The plans call for a 1/4 inch outside diameter, 2/32 inch inside diameter drill bushing. I did find such a beast on line for around $50. I am not about to spring for that plus shipping for a one time use thing. Searching around, I was lucky to find a 1/4 OD, 1/8 ID spacer over at Ace Hardware. Since this is a spacer, the tolerances are completely off. The 1/4 OD was larger than published so I chucked the piece up in the drill press and sanded down to an exact fit. The inside diameter was also no where near. For this I went through my collections of drill bits to find a good match. Turns out 11/64 was a good match.



And the finished product. Looks to line up very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment